Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Preamble

I'm quite sure many of you are thinking, or perhaps somewhat wondering to yourself, "What the heck is he doing?"  Let me enlighten the curious ones.  I was sitting in my Ethics class and had an epiphany.  I must concede the irony of the setting in which this occurred.  I hold no apologies to you Mr. Ethics Instructor, though only a sense of gratitude.  You lost my intellectual curiosity the first three minutes of class and you allowed my mind to go aloof.  This epiphany by definition, was most certainly an experience of sudden and striking realization. 

-The belief that I have got to be the most misinterpreted and misunderstood person I will ever know.

&

-How do I want others to perceive me?


So, like my sisters before me, I'm going to blog.  Blog or not to blog, tis that is the question.  I'm choosing to blog, perhaps as a way to let people into my mind and really know how the wheels turn.  I will concede and disclaim to almost all of you, you think you know me, but you have no idea.  Don't be afraid, I haven't lost my marbles nor am I having a mid-life crisis.  Though I do concede the irony in that statement since having just recently celebrated my 38th birthday.  Moving on........

Riddle me this.  Should one start something like this tip-toeing in the shallow end to test the waters, or do you cannonball in the deep end and not care who you splash? I'm quite sure a debate is stirring.  Although as for me, I'm cannonballing in all senses of the word.  Well, not in the way Bill Murray does in Caddyshack.  Cinderella story......here at Augusta

So, going forward, I will post almost anything that comes to mind.  If I enlighten your day, then great.  If I offend you or rub you the wrong way, too bad so sad.  I do though have to fill you in on a few things about me as a preamble, intro, preface, etc.....  Consider it a Crash Davis rant.

1.  I have an unshakable love for my family.
2.  I hold the game of baseball very dear in my heart, that also, is unshakable.
3.  I believe in the concept, "to each their own"

In addition, I have experienced the following surreal moments in my life.

1.  Remembering this like is just happened two minutes ago:  watching a weak ground ball to A.J. Martinez at third base that led to the final out of the Western Regional Championship game, that punched our ticket to the Big League World Series in 1992...........and that I got to experience with my Dad.......because he was my Coach.

2. Catching in a game in that World Series as USA West playing against Venezuela that ended up being a 15-inning 2-day game, hearing and being the recipient of a crowd that chanted "USA, USA, USA".  Then turning around, and realizing that it was the team from the Soviet Union that was dominantly doing the cheering.  That my friends, is what makes the game of baseball more than a game.  I still get the goosies thinking about that moment.

3.  Welcoming each one of my children into this world.

The above beliefs and moments are what shape my life and formulate the person that I am.  There is though one other thing in my life that I hold dear that I only allow a select few to know.  Again, "you think you know, but you have no idea".

Moving forward......buckle up.....it may be a bumpy ride.


1 comment:

  1. Steve, congrats- some of this is no surprise to me- go figure! The blogging- ok that is a surprise although you have always enjoyed the computer! And the ethics class- that was a surprise to me and it brought me back to college days having to take an ethics class and the almost barfing feeling and the asking of God, "why has thou forsaken me and made me sit in ethics class" not just once, but at Pt. Loma and then again at graduate school. But to each his own. I'll enjoy that bumpy ride with you and see just what has changed and get to re-know you!!

    ReplyDelete